Friday, April 9, 2010

Test Drive: Audi S5

It was my first time ever driving an Audi, and I was in the V8 Powered S5.

The sun gently warmed my neck as I trekked across the parking lot filled with various Audi models. I finally found the line of S5s parked in the back corner of the lot. The one I was going to drive was the black one on the end.

This was not just any black paint. This car was covered with the optional Black Sapphire Mettalic paint; a conventional jet black with mettalic chips in it, and my favorite color on the s5 model. This car is really one of the best looking coupes on the road.

Exterior Styling:
The more sculpted front and rear bumpers are unique to the s5 and add sportiness over the standard models. I like the subtle s5 and v8 badging on the front, rear, and sides. The car is also set off by its quad tailpipes and upgraded 19-inch alloy wheels. The ten spokes are stylishly arranged in pairs and leave a lot of empty space as if they are boasting about the large, cross
drilled and vented rotors clamped by the large calipers with an s5 logo on them. My favorite final touches are the brushed aluminum side mirror housings. What makes this car so great is how the styling is so subtly aggressive. This is a true gentleman's car.

Interior:
The same beautiful, classy styling is continued in the interior. Soft, nappa leather covers the Recaro sport seats, door panels, and lower dash. A long line sweeps over the insturment cluster and navigation screen and runs do
wn the center console, adding to the sensuality of the experience once inside the car. Piano black and brushed aluminum trim keep the interior looking sporty.
Audi's MMI system controlled by a large knob on the console is fairly easy to use and takes away the need for a clutter of buttons around the dash. A cool feature is that you can store music from a cd or smartphone in the built in hard drive. The build quality is just amazing for a car of this price. I could have sat in the car all day and been perfectly content, but now I had to take it for a drive.

The Drive:
I held down the silver start button on the center console and in a choreographed move, the needles shot up against their grey background and the engine roared to life.
Cruising around at low speeds, this car is extremely smooth and comfortable. The suspension is firm and soaks up any road imperfections without being harsh on your body. If you decide to turn down the fantastic Bang & Olufsen sound system all you can hear is the deep burble of the exhaust.
I slowly made my way to the highway. I could now open it up. I slipped the gear lever to the left, putting the car into manual sport mode. Controlling shifts with aluminum paddles on the back of the wheel, I dropped the car down into second at about 40 miles per hour. I entered the perfectly cambered on ramp and pinned it, coming up to 60 miles per hour. I could hear the tires squeal as they gripped the road. I could now appreciate the very supportive Recaro seats, and the sport suspension which showed relatively little body roll.
Off the gas as i came into the straight and then i nailed it, letting all 354 ponies and 325 lb-ft of torque of the 4.2 liter v8 loose. I looked down at the tach, I was suddenly at the 7K rpm redline. I pulled the right paddle and the dual clutch transmission ripped of a lightning quick shift to third gear.
In 4th gear at 80 mph, I approached the offramp. I broke firmly and pulled off a double downshift into second, the transmission matching the revs perfectly. The strong brakes and really firm pedal can give any driver confidence.

Sadly, after a couple more runs, it was time to turn the car in. The Audi S5 is really an amazing all around car, and at a price of $55 K, it is a relative bargain for a car of that quality and performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment